How To Determine The Services You Need
Congratulations! You’ve made the big decision to outsource your help desk!
That’s a great first step, but now you have to determine what services you actually need before you decide on an outsource company.
You also have to understand what level of support you need. Is your goal to enhance your client experience and provide a live person to speak with? Are the majority of your support questions routine tasks that can be resolved in five minutes or less? If so, a Tier 0 service will fit your needs.
- Customer service skill-set is strong.
- Focuses on documentation, then routes issues to the best person for resolution.
- Handles routine problems that follow a step-by-step documentation process.
- Manages high call volume.
If your company has a knowledge-based resolution path created for support issues such as off-the-shelf software, Office 365 questions, or connectivity issues, Tier 1 service will meet your needs.
- Agents have a blend of customer service skills and technical skills.
- Capable of handling support issues that can be resolved by following a repeatable, well-documented path.
- If a problem cannot be resolved in 10 minutes, agent will escalate to next level support.
For higher level support issues that require an ability to diagnose problems, you need a support team that has a stronger technical background. This takes you to Tier 2.
- Looks for the symptom, diagnoses the problem, and finds the root cause.
- Support tickets generally take approximately 20 minutes to resolve.
- Ability to resolve non-standardized issues.
Many companies find they need all of these services, but they also realize they don’t have the level of standardization needed to effectively utilize a Tier 1 service. If that sounds like your company, consider using a company that offers what is referred to as a Discreet Tier 2 or Hybrid Service.
Discreet Tier 2 or Hybrid:
- Lowers overall costs by utilizing lower level support staff to answer phones and document problems quickly.
- Routine support issues (10 minutes or less to resolve) are handled by Tier 1.
- More complicated problems are escalated to Tier 2.
- Tier 2 provides in-depth information on what has been done to resolve a problem, and if it needs to be escalated to a higher level—saving time and money.
- Tier 2 support frees up your experienced IT staff to work on projects, rather than being interrupted to fix routine problems.
It’s really important to do a deep analysis of what your company’s support needs are, and then find an outsource company with the levels of support that matches your need. Don’t make the mistake of opting for a lower level support and creating a gap in your services.
You never want your IT project managers to handle routine support issues. This only pulls them off-track and away from the high-level projects you hired them to do. Outsourcing to a company that provides a Hybrid Service is a great solution to your important support desk needs!